Friday, September 14, 2012

Organizing!

No amount of exclamation points can really liven up a post about freezer organization, but I'll try!

Basically, our freezer has been a perpetual mess which for some reason doesn't bother me. Messy fridges drive me nuts but I can ignore a messy freezer even as an avalanche of ice cubes and frozen naan spills out every time I open the door. D is the opposite, apparently. So now we have this.

freezer
{freezer}

This is hardly a novel solution, but a few plastic organizing boxes and trays really did the trick. We put the lesser used items in the lidded boxes and tried to make sure that we leave a bit of space open at all times for rotating stuff. The open box on the very top has our daily stuff (two kinds of coffee, bag of ice cubes).

I actually think this reduces the amount of stuff we can get in the freezer, but I can adapt to that. It reminds me to use up all the stuff I toss in there.

15 comments:

  1. Oh geeze. So there is someone out there who loves organizing to the point where they'll eventually get to the freezer. My roommates hate me! Haha. Thanks for the great ideas. I love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually never thought to do it--it actually makes a ton of sense. Your freezer is far more organized than mine!

    -Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy your top freezer. I still have that ridiculous bottom freezer, and will for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ingenious!!! Why didn't I think about this when I was in college and lived with 3 other boys who just threw everything in the freezer. this definitely makes more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is pretty darn smart! Our freezer is quite a mess and could definitely use some organization. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, I absolutely love this idea. One small thing? Please be kinder to your coffee...

    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/shopping-storing/beverages/store-coffee-pantry-vs-freezer-10000001702174/index.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I go back and forth on this. Our big problem is that we don't go through enough coffee for it to stay good at room temperature (I drink decaf and he drinks regular and neither of us drinks more than two shots a day, so we are sloooow). Maybe I'll try an experiment and keep my next bag out and see how it goes. I just hate how stale it gets.

      Delete
  7. My freezer is full of library books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is extreme, but cute! You like it, I love it! lolll

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to see your fridge!

    your freezer looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing! Great idea!
    xo
    aminuteinthelifeofmaria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. i really love your blog its super cute! :)

    http://everythingsalwayssunny.blogspot.com

    kristin
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the problems with that solution is that non-designed-for-freezer-use plastic gets really brittle when frozen. :-(

    So be careful! But I think freezer organizing is awesome. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart cookie! I think this is a definite possibility, so I'll report back on the post if we start having problems. We had the empty containers lying around, so it won't be a huge deal if they give out on us eventually, but I'd hate for it to be a really temporary solution.

      Delete
  13. That is such a brilliant idea! I bet its a lot easier to search for things now that its so well organized!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!