Friday, June 4, 2010

Friday flowers (longevity edition)

D bought me this beautiful little vase, also from Heath.* I wanted something super simple for it. A few sprigs of lavender would have been lovely, but I think I may have killed my lavender.**  But three little crespedia did the trick nicely.

crespedia, books
{crespedia, books}

I didn't even put any water in the vase. I have my fingers crossed that they'll just dry out and stay like that, because we're leaving for a couple weeks and I'd love to have them waiting for me when I return. I think they're a pretty good candidate for dried flowers, although you're probably supposed to do something more proactive, like hang them upside down for a few weeks. I'm more of the finger crossing type, really.

crespedia, bedside
{crespedia, bedside}

Oh, did you catch that? Yes, we're leaving for a couple weeks. Crazy. As you read this I am either ...

a) frantically packing and cleaning
b) waiting in airport security
c) waiting for my flight to take off
d) on a very long airplane ride

None of these are my most favorite activities (D and I have a really terrible track record when it comes to international airport security and we've both been interrogated multiple times and we've had our luggage confiscated once, despite having nothing in it but clothes), but I'm very excited to land. I'll be on vacation for two weeks (!) and I won't be posting, but you might see me pop in here from time to time with pictures, if the promised wireless internet connection in our rented apartment actually exists. You really never know.

* I swear I'm not paid by them in any way - it just happened to be a Heath heavy gifting year.
**  How can you even tell? Maybe it's just dormant? I am definitely not a plant guru. 

27 comments:

  1. i love those little 'flowers'. excellent choice! i used to work for a florist ... and they dry perfectly! they look almost exactly the same once dried. and they are quite durable.

    just wondering where you got those neat bed side table/shelves?? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a ball, woman! Flying off to a faraway land and renting a wee apartment sounds very mysterious and romantic; I have a feeling it's either Prague or Paris. And that you will catch up on sleep and do some reading. All good things. Love the little crespia and safe travels, dear! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had craspedia in my wedding flowers last August -- I kept them all, and they're still hanging in there. They dried out nicely just sitting by themselves upright in a vase.

    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love billyballs! they dry perfectly, with just the same saturation of color :] have a great 2 weeks away from everything & come back super rested!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man. i started reading and thought, i finally get to find out where they are going! but alas. i'm with lily re: prauge.

    have a wonderful time, and i have had those same little balls in a dry vase for years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the idea of having flowers waiting for you upon your arrival back home. have an amazing trip and i can't wait to hear all about it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. i adore heath too. i was given that same vase this year but in the matte brown color. happy vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where are you going? Did I miss that little tidbit of info?

    I hope you have an amazing time. Safe travels!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay for vacations!

    kiwi and i leave for thailand on sunday and i have not even thought about packing...

    relax and enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a great trip! So jealous...and a good reminder that I need to get the F out of town:)

    P.S. Heath is now on my "I must have something from that store" list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The trip sounds heavenly, and I am very jealous of your rapidly expanding Heath collection. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmmmmmmmmm, long trips with a sweetheart to a rented apartment. sounds romantic and adventurous. i hope this is the trip that clears your security karma.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a lovely little vase!!! I LOVE LOVE craspedia...and I did the same thing to mine, they dried wonderfully--kept their beautiful rich yellow color. Now I keep them out in a white Ikea vase all year round (bc they're so dang cute!). Have a beautiful weekend Rachel : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. My lavendar has been so thirsty in this weather... but it does perk up quickly when I give it a drink. I love your Heath vase!

    Wishing you a lovely break!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never dried flowers before. What do you do with dried flowers? Enjoy your weekend and I hope you have a safe one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a wonderful time! I'll keep my fingers crossed too that the flowers will dry out and be waiting for your return. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have kept many a dead-looking plant, hoping they were really merely in a dormant phase. I think at least one did turn out to have a remaining spark of life!

    Have a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a great vacation! I'm jealous!

    http://thebusiestbee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, have a lovely trip! And enjoy yourselves immensely! I'll just imagine you're headed to Spain, since that's my current #1 (non-Brasil) desired destination. =]

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, have such a wonderful trip! Two weeks sounds perfect...you can never get too much relaxation. And vacations are the best for restoring your inspiration, so I'm excited to hear what you have to share upon returning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I actually use the dried ones (purchased on nettletonhollow.com) for weddings when fresh craspedia aren't in season. They will do just fine!

    Have a fabulous, relaxing, memory filled trip!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow!!! Have a fabulous trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. such a sweet little set up! simplicity @ it's best!
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  24. They are beautiful, I don't think I've seen that flower before.

    ReplyDelete
  25. have a lovely trip. gorgeous vase :)

    xo Alison

    ReplyDelete
  26. have a great vacation! two weeks, wow oh boy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love these little "flowers", my florist friend calls them "billy balls", which i don't like so much, they are too cute for that name!

    --lauren
    http://www.deargolden.com

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!